Mold is a common problem in homes, and it can cause serious health issues if left untreated. The presence of mold can also reduce the value of your home and cause damage to your property. If you’ve noticed mold in your home, you may be wondering whether you can remove it yourself or if you need to call in a professional.
The short answer is that it depends on the severity of the mold problem. In some cases, you may be able to remove the mold yourself. However, if the mold has spread extensively or if you’re dealing with toxic mold, it’s best to leave the job to the professionals.
Assessing the Mold Problem
Before you attempt to remove mold yourself, it’s important to assess the severity of the problem. If you only have a small amount of mold growth in a non-porous surface, such as tile or glass, you may be able to remove it yourself using a solution of bleach and water. However, if the mold has spread to a porous surface, such as drywall or carpet, it’s best to call in a professional.
DIY Mold Removal Tips
If you decide to remove mold yourself, it’s important to take precautions to protect yourself from exposure to mold spores. Wear a mask, gloves, and goggles, and make sure the area is well-ventilated.
To remove mold, use an antimicrobial pesticide. Apply the solution to the affected area and let it sit for 15 minutes. Scrub the area with a stiff brush and rinse with water. Allow the area to dry completely.
When to Call in a Professional
If the mold has spread extensively or if you’re dealing with toxic mold, it’s best to call in a professional mold remediation company. A professional will have the expertise and equipment needed to safely and effectively remove the mold. They will also be able to identify the source of the mold and take steps to prevent it from returning.
In addition, if you have health issues that may be exacerbated by exposure to mold, such as asthma or allergies, it’s best to leave the job to the professionals. They will be able to take steps to protect you from exposure to mold spores.
Whether you can remove mold yourself depends on the severity of the problem. While small mold growth on non-porous surfaces can be removed using bleach and water, extensive mold growth or toxic mold should be left to the professionals. When in doubt, it’s best to call in a professional mold remediation company to ensure the safety of your home and your health.