Mold is one of the most hazardous airborne pollutants. Mold can quickly grow on water-damaged surfaces within 24 hours. Mold spores are quiet and quickly spread, can enter your lungs, and cause a variety of allergic reactions.

People of all ages can be exposed to mold spores. Due to their developing immune systems, children are more likely to be exposed to its harmful effects.

You should not compromise on indoor air quality (IAQ), at your school or childcare center. Airborne pollutants can cause a variety of respiratory illnesses.

Some black mold symptoms in children can be mild, but others can cause serious health problems for children.

Let’s examine the most frequent symptoms of mold exposure in children.

  1. Mold’s Effects on Children

Studies have repeatedly shown that prolonged mold exposure can lead to severe respiratory distress in children, particularly those with asthma and sensitive lungs. The World Health Organization (WHO), in a recent research, found that indoor mold exposure can lead to asthma-like symptoms in children.

Inhaling mold spores can cause inflammation of the linings of the lungs.

  • A shortness of breath
  • Coughing
  • Sneezing
  • Itching and wheezing
  • Sore throat
  • Nasal congestion
  • Nez itchy, runny or red
  • Sinus headaches

Asthma can be triggered by mold spores in children. This can lead to more severe chronic lung disease.

  1. Why Black Mold Is Bad News

Although many indoor molds can cause allergic reactions, black mold (Stachybotrys chart scrum), is particularly dangerous. This mold emits mycotoxins, which cause a burning sensation inside the throat, nasal cavity, mouth, and throat. Long-term exposure to mycotoxins can result in mycotoxins infiltrating the lungs, mucus membranes, and sinuses. This can lead to a host of serious health problems.

Black mold can pose a serious threat to children. Some of the most common signs of black mold in toddlers are:

A) Neurological Issues

Mycotoxins are known to have significant effects on children’s brain metabolism and mental well-being, according to medical research. Children who have been exposed to black mold might experience:

  • Confusion and disorientation
  • Reduced attention spans
  • Slower reflexes
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Memory fog
  • Involuntary trembling
  • Nullness
  • Anxiety
  • Functioning of the brain impaired
  • Mood swings
  • Irritability
  • Depression

B) Skin Problems

Skin irritation from black mold can lead to skin irritation. This is an early indicator of mold exposure in children. Eczema flare-ups, dry, scaly, and itchy skin, and dermatitis can all be signs of mold exposure in childcare centers. You should consult a professional before the problem escalates.

C) Eye Irritation

Contact with black mold spores may cause irritation to the eyes.

  • Inflammation and soreness
  • Watery eyes
  • Bloodshot eyes
  • A blurry vision

D) Internal Damage

Mycotoxins can enter the bloodstream and cause havoc on a child’s internal organs.

  • An irregular heartbeat
  • Low blood pressure
  • Bleeding tendencies
  • Internal bleeding
  • Vomiting blood
  • Inflammation in your heart
  • Bleeding in your brain
  • Hemorrhagic pneumonia

E) Other Symptoms

Here are some other symptoms of black mold that toddlers may experience:

  • Chronic fatigue
  • Weakness
  • Different areas of the body may feel achy.
  • Fever, flu, or recurring symptoms of colds
  • Otitis externa
  • Hearing impairment
  • Diarrhea
  • Hair loss

Toxic black mold can cause symptoms similar to seasonal allergies. You might not suspect mold immediately. However, children who don’t seem to be getting better or have persistent symptoms should contact a mold inspection and testing firm as soon as possible.

Remember that children’s reactions to indoor mold depend on their health and sensitivity. However, the more toxic fungus is left in the child’s environment, then the more severe the symptoms.

You can protect your children from the negative effects of mold by taking immediate action.

  1. How to identify a Mold Problem

The most obvious sign of mold infestation is the appearance of black mold in toddlers. If you require more evidence, here are the things you should look for.

  • A persistent musty odor
  • Mold patches on vinyl and wood wallpapers, drywall, and wallpaper
  • Walls stained
  • Paint that is peeling, cracking, or bubbling
  • Signs of water leakage are visible
  1. How to Protect Children from Mold

Because mold exposure poses health risks, it is important to take preventative measures to ensure that your childcare center does not become a breeding ground for mold. This is easy to do.

A) Use the Dehumidifier

According to the EPA, mold control requires that indoor humidity levels are kept below 60%. If you live in a humid environment, a dehumidifier may be a good option. Dehumidifiers dramatically reduce indoor humidity, making your childcare facility less attractive to mold. You can leave a dehumidifier on in damp rooms to remove excess moisture.

B) Dry Wet Places Quickly

Because mold can’t survive without moisture, it is essential to clean and dry moist surfaces quickly. No matter if it is a leaking pipe or a spillage from the carpet, you should dry everything completely within 24 hours.

Air dry damp items before you store them. Do not let wet towels or napkins sit in a ball too long. It takes a little bit of diligence to prevent a serious mold infestation.

C) Identify problem areas

You can’t mold-proof your childcare facility indefinitely. It is possible to make it mold-resistant, but you need to identify areas that are susceptible to water damage. A ceiling water stain is usually a sign of an ongoing leak. It is possible to stop mold growth by fixing the problem.

D) Get in touch with a Mold Inspector Specialist

You should immediately call a mold inspector and test expert if you have noticed black mold symptoms in children attending your childcare center, teachers, and caregivers. They will inspect the area around your childcare center for mold spores and send them off to be identified. You will receive all the information necessary to begin remediation. They may also test for VOCs in your home or childcare facility to ensure that it is safe.

The Bottom Line

A black mold infestation is something that you do not want to deal with as an owner of a school, residence or childcare center. Knowing the dangers of mold to children, we encourage you to go the extra mile to prevent an outbreak.

Teton Environmental, Inc. will gladly answer any additional questions you may have regarding black mold symptoms for kids.

We offer mold inspections and testing services for commercial, residential, and other critical facilities. Thanks to our scientific assessment tools and high-quality equipment we can guarantee that our inspections will be reliable, thorough, and objective. Call us now to learn more and schedule an appointment.


Call Now